Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mama I was so overwhellmed I was speechless!

Tonight we had an invite to pizza and a play date. The family attends church with us and has a 1 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. The Mom and I met at the kids Catechism classes. She is also a stay at home Mom and her husband is in the local family business. This family business has nine branches.

When we pulled up I suddenly wished I would have canceled yet again. As I pulled into their driveway in my 2004 Oldsmobile Alero, which mind you hasn't seen a car wash since my husband left, my poor little car suddenly felt very small and dingy next to one of their two shiny black beemers. Jonah said, "We are going in there. Too that mansion!" I quickly said, "Yes honey we are. Yes they have more money than us, but please be polite." It took everything in me to get out of my car and make the long walk up to the marble steps. My clothes, my hair, everything about myself and my children I started to question. I felt very small and intimidated as they opened the massive double doors to greet us.

Everything was beautiful. Down to their photo frames on the wall. My mind was quickly wondering to my own photos on my walls in their Walmart $9.99 frames, and how they couldn't begin to hold a candle to what lay before me.

The toy room was like a department store. Toy after toy. Gracie was in paradise. She just kept going in circles and didn't know where to begin or end her journey. We have a 12 by 12 toy box for Gracie in our living room! I started to feel very suffocated and overwhelmed by the fact that I can't even give Gracie a fraction of what their little girl has. Jonah was on his own sensory overload. Lego after lego was displayed in the little boys room. Jonah was instantly taking tally in his little brain and jealousy had set in.

We ate and wrapped up our visit quickly more out of my own desire to escape the reality of what I had just witnessed. They are a wonderful family and they were very kind to us, but how could I ever dream of having them over to our home after stepping foot in theirs. I can't even afford a new shirt let alone the newest toy for my child. I know, I know what you are thinking. But still!! It was a lot to swallow.

When we reached the car Jonah was instantly professing his jealousy for this little boy. He said, "Mama I was so overwhelmed I was speechless." This is true. I never heard a peep out of him the entire visit. Gracie and Jonah were both on sensory overload. Who am I kidding, I was too!

When we got home and got settled Jonah and I talked about what made them successful. We discussed what we should take away from this experience is simply a desire to always continue to push ourselves to try and achieve our own personal fortune and success. We may never have a mansion with marble steps and every toy money can buy, but if we are successful in our own eyes then that is all that truly matters. Money and things can't buy happiness, and I am very aware of that as I have more than I need in my small beautiful home blessed with the love of my children and husband.

Money and a mansion would be nice though!