Friday, January 8, 2010

The Black Bean Burger Standoff..........

Tonight I made Black Bean Burgers. Gracie & I both found these very delicious. Jonah on the other hand would not come near his. He had to at least take one bite before I would make him an alternative meal, but this was not happening. He refused! He cried! He whinnied! "I'm starving to death! Your so mean Mama! How could you make me eat that garbage!" After three long hours of listening to this, and watching him stare at this one tiny piece of burger he was asked to eat. Well...........I caved! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as Gracie & I did!

Black Bean Burgers

1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1/4 cup tofu (or 1 egg)
1/4 onion, chopped in Cuisinart
1/4 green or red pepper, chopped in Cuisinart
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. E.V.O.O
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp. Bragg's Liquid Amino's (or soy sauce)
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, mash the black beans. Then add all your ingredients and mix together, hands work best. Adjust your seasoning by tasting at this point. Form into patties. Bake in a 350 degree oven on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and pan fry with just a non stick cooking spray until golden on each side. These will be soft and tend to fall apart if you are not careful. To avoid this you can freeze them prior to cooking. Top these with all of your favorite toppings; Avocado, Alfalfa sprouts, Tomatoes, Grilled Onion slices, Mixed Greens, etc. You won't need ketchup. Enjoy!