Monday, January 4, 2010

Don't Eat The Black Snow!

We have had our fair share of snow this winter season. As I look out my office window right now more snow is trickling down from the sky. I am not a fan of snow or the cold, and would rather spend my winter months with my feet in the sand somewhere warm. When I suggested that the whole family up and move to a beach house for the year that Kevin is deployed.........well, let's just say Kevin wasn't as excited about the idea as I was. So, here we sit. Stuck inside to keep from getting frostbite from just stepping outside in this Kansas winter weather.

But despite how I feel about it, Jonah loves the snow! Tomorrow he heads back to school after a leisurely two week Christmas break of digging in the snow. Everyday he has been outside shoveling away. Not shoveling the driveway or the sidewalk, but he does shovel. I just haven't figured out what exactly it is that he is shoveling. At the end of the day if I look out the window I see every garden tool we own decorating our yard. Three rakes, a shovel, two snow shovels, a hockey stick, a soccer ball, and a tennis racket. As the snow melts more surprises appear in the snow.

Despite our large corner lot yard filled with a vast array of beautiful white snow to play in, Jonah has no interest in all of that snow. He is always laying or digging atop the nasty, black, snowplowed snow that comes up over our curb and onto the edge of the yard and our driveway. If I look outside I can guarantee there he will be. Rolling around in that nasty snow, digging a fort in it, and almost always with a piece of it in his mouth! Yes you read that correctly. In his mouth!

I always open the door and yell at him to get that nasty snow out of his mouth, but he assures me he isn't eating it. "Mama! I'm not eating it! I'm just tasting it!"