Monday, August 17, 2009

First Grade Here He Comes!



There goes my baby! First Grade in a brand new school. I can't believe how grown up he is! Today started the beginning of a new school year. Although I was definitely ready for summer to be over I was still sad to see him go this morning. We found out the end of last week that they did not have room for him at his old school in Manhattan. That combined with the fact that our home has still not sold brought us to the decision to pull our house off the market and put him into the local school here in Wamego one block from our home. It only makes sense. We can walk to school everyday and now he will be able to make friends locally. Kevin will no longer have to worry about us moving when he is gone. We will stay put until the end of the school year and try and put the house on the market next summer.

This school starts 35 minutes earlier than our old school so you can imagine the moans and groans I got this morning trying to get him out of bed. It will take a good two weeks for us to get into a new routine. Bedtime can no longer be midnight and he can no longer sleep in until 10 a.m.

I couldn't help but be a mess of nerves and scared for him as I dropped him off at a brand new school. He held my hand as we walked in, but as soon as we found his classroom he went into Joe Cool mode and I was quickly forgotten. He dropped my hand and wanted nothing to do with me. At 3:20 when I pick him up I'll probably get the standard response when I ask about his day. Boring as usual. I only hope that I see a grin on his face with that response.