Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kevin's Going Away Party

This past Saturday in light of Kevin's upcoming deployment we threw a going away party. A year without a drink is a long time for any of us, so believe it or not I gave the ok for a keg! Originally it was intended to be family and close friends only. Once word of a keg got out within Kevin's unit, the next thing I knew we were having two kegs and every soldier within his headquarters was invited.

Overall the evening seemed to be a success. Everyone brought side dishes and we grilled hamburgers. The food went over despite the swarm of flies attacking all evening. Kevin was very angry at 2 a.m. drunk and hungry when he found out that I had thrown out all of the fly infested leftovers.

Believe it or not we are still nursing the first keg. Despite ample efforts by the boys to finish it off with late night keg stands, it is still going strong three days later. We are selling the second keg as it would take me a good year to polish off a keg alone. The party remained under control and wrapped itself up by midnight. Drinking jack shots out of $250 Stetson hats was as rowdy as it got.

I officially cut off all house access when I discovered pee on the floor in my bathroom. Not a little, but a lot! That was the end for me. It was pee exclusively outside after that. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a little OCD when it comes to the cleanliness of my home. Pee on the floor! You can only imagine the Clorox that came out!

I'm glad Kevin got to have some fun with his fellow soldiers and enjoy a few too many drinks and cigars. He may not remember the burgers, but he is sure to remember the faces of everyone who came to show their love. Thanks to all of our family and friends for being a part of our lives and supporting us through another deployment.