Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Go Away I Have A Bread Knife!

When Kevin is away in the field I usually find myself out of my comfort zone when it comes to going to bed at night alone in a big dark house. I know I'm thirty years old, but I still get nervous when my husband is away. Last night only confirmed the need to make the call to get the security system installed that I have been putting off. Despite my husbands attempts to get me to learn how to use a gun I find myself always heading for what is most comfortable, a chefs knife. This was my weapon of choice when I was a single mom as well. Whenever I got nervous there my knife would lay beside the bed. Last night upon being startled in the middle of the night I immediately got out of bed, cell phone in hand programmed to 911, and made my way cautiously to the kitchen and grabbed the first thing within reach, a bread knife! Then I paraded through every room in the house turning on the lights and checking to make sure all of the doors and windows were secured knife in hand. Then with every light left on I went back to bed gently laying the bread knife beside me and attempted to close my eyes. Of course I heard something else, so once again I jump up bread knife in tow and paraded through the house cautiously again. This morning I have to laugh as I imagine what would happen if there ever were an actual intruder and there I am with my bread knife ready to attack. Do you think they would pause and laugh. I think they might. Maybe it is time for that gun lesson. It's going to be a long year!