Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tomato, Cucumber, & Onion Salad

Summer vegetables are here! I only wish I had planted a garden this year. The fact that my house was on the market made me hesitate in hopes that we would have moved by now. Guess what. We are still here. A slow market has left us in real estate limbo. My mom was kind enough to share the wealth of her garden by filling a bag of cucumbers & tomatoes for me. If you don't have a garden hit up your local farmers market every weekend. This salad is so good. Warning; Your six year old won't want anything to do with you due to your onion breathe. Make sure you spend the rest of the day chasing him around covering him in kisses!!

2 Lg Garden Tomatoes, Chopped
4-6 Garden Cucumbers, Chopped
1 Red Onion, Sliced Thin
2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
2 Tbsp. Balsalmic Vinegar

Taste at this point to see if you need more salt, vinegar, etc. I never measure anything so just eyeball it and taste to your liking. Pour all ingredients into a ziplock and toss in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour. Eat plain or top your grilled burgers with this delicious salad.

Greek It Up by adding 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese and 1/2 cup kalamata olives.