Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lift the seat up!

Only recently has the fact that my six year old little boy does not lift the toilet seat up to go potty started to create problems for the female in the house. This new development has appeared out of no where as if his growth spurt has thrown off his once perfect aim. There are now little potty sprinkles all over the toilet seat that weren't there once before. Maybe it's simply the fact that the sprinkles are growing as he grows, and were in fact always there. Only now have I started to see them glistening on the porcelain seat every time I get ready to sit down. My husband likes to blame me for Jonah's lack of basic male bathroom procedures. Kevin came into Jonah's life when he was two, so prior to that he was learning his behaviors from his Mama. Fast forward to Kevin's absence once again during a fourteen month deployment and that's still a lot of time with just Mama. Kevin really became aware of Jonah's need for male influence on our recent vacation. Kevin recalls an experience on one of our many bathroom stops on our eighteen hour road trip. Kevin said, "There we are side by side doing our business at a very busy gas station. I look over and all of the urinals are full with more people waiting behind us as well. I glace at Jonah and smile, and Jonah gives me a thumbs up and a head node. Then I do a double take and realize that there Jonah is pants and boxers around his ankles, hands on his hips, and his little white buns hanging out there for all the world to see! Every other man and child standing at the urinals are still pants intact as they take care of their business. But not my Jonah. White buns and all exposed with a smile on his face." At that moment Kevin said it was all he could do but turn to the people waiting at the door who had just witnessed this show and smile and say, "Yep that's my boy!" Needless to say all the remaining rode trip potty stops were followed with urinal lessons involving keeping your pants around your waist. It's at these moments that I'm very thankful for my husband. Now about those sprinkles....