Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Today is day two of swimming lessons for my six year old Jonah. I have often felt like a failure this year as it quickly has become apparent that my not so little boy does not know how to do many fundamental activities that many children his age have mastered now for several years. Not only does Jonah not know how to swim, but he also cannot ride a bike. So thus the two big summer goals have been set into place; learning how to swim, and learning to ride a bike without training wheels. Learning to ride a bike has quickly become a huge power struggle between Jonah and Dad. Jonah gets quickly frustrated and storms off after one attempt around the driveway. Dad in turn gets equally frustrated and starts making statements regarding giving the bike to a little boy who will appreciate it. I usually step in at this point with my encouraging mom words saying, "You can do it just four more times around the driveway and you can stop for the day." A desending goal always seems to come through victoriously in a childs mind. So after four long whine filled laps around the drive we complete one more learning day of bike riding 101. I have much higher hopes for the swimming lessons as my husband and I are not the instuctors but rather we have paid the city to take on this challenge. Jonah came home day one full of smiles and actually stated that he liked it! Day two brought the same smiles and excitment. Eight more lessons to go and I hope to have a little fish on my hands.