Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Up on the Housetop

When Jonah was born I made the decision to exclusively breastfeed just as I'm currently doing with Gracie. For whatever reason I felt overwhelming Mommy guilt if while I was nursing him I wasn't singing to him. So I sang. I sang all the time. If he was nursing I was singing. Jonah was born the end of October. So with the holidays right around the corner it was only fitting to sing him every Christmas carol I knew. The Christmas carols quickly became the top songs in my lullaby memory file. As a result of all that singing, to this day when Jonah eats he unconsciously hums. No this is not a joke. He hums while eating, and he has no idea that he is doing it unless someone calls him out on it. We have always thought it was endearing until he started attending school and getting made fun of everyday at lunch. Now whenever he does it we quickly point it out to correct him. Who knew that my crazy mom guilt would create this food related hum that is still going strong at six years old.

Now here I am nursing Gracie and I hate to admit it, but the Mommy guilt is back. So I sing to her as well every time she nurses. The problem is that my lullaby memory file is not very large. I know very few lullabies from memory. So even though it's July, it's Christmas in July at my house. Up on the Housetop, Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, & Frosty the Snowman. They all get sung to my nursing baby girl everyday. My husband always walks by me and just smiles shaking his head in amusement. It will be interesting to find out if Gracie turns into an unconscious food eating hummer as well. If you ever stop by don't be surprised if you hear Christmas tunes coming from inside. It's just me singing Up On The Housetop for the tenth time that day. It's Gracie's current favorite.